Monday, December 19, 2016

Wholesome Thing (Whole25, Day 21)

I can't believe it took me this long to realize that "whole something" (wholesomething), as I've been calling my stints of Whole30-style eating, can also be read as "wholesome thing." Both of them work.

Kind of like one of my favorite riddles: "iamnowhere". It can either be "I Am Nowhere" or "I Am Now Here." I guess it's not really a riddle but more of a game of perspective. And it's resonated with me, particularly over the past year or so as I've been working hard to make change within myself.

Anyway. I'm on the home stretch of this Wholesome Thing and very much looking forward to some treats and rest over Christmas Weekend. A Christmas Carol has been a challenge, but the friends I have in the cast are a saving grace and can make me laugh like a maniac even when I'm ready to cry or throw a shoe otherwise.

I ran today with only music (not running an app to track my pace or distance.) I've run the Coyote Creek Trail so many times, I was comfortable mapping it in my head with landmarks instead of relying on the audio prompts from my phone. Still, it was a little weird to be in complete control and not check my phone sixty times towards the end to see if I could walk yet. I'd planned to turn around "at the end of the underpass" and stop running "at the sharp right turn headed back to work" so running towards that and not based on the electronic thing in my pocket was...different. Not better or worse, per se. But I kind of liked it. And I like the idea of being more in-control with my training. Now I'm feasting on chicken and green beans (hooray for slow cooker batch-cooking) and thinking about the big 15K in January. I'd like to be able to run the whole thing, even if my pace isn't as high as it was for the 10K in November. My right knee is feeling a little bit better as I run, too.

The world continues to baffle and scare me. There is so much good that is so easily overshadowed by hate and stupidity. It makes me appreciate my family, friends, work, and hobbies more. I have kind of a "I want to relish what I enjoy while I still can" attitude lately. It's helping me get through the greater crush of generalized depression. I'm hoping that the nutritious eating and continued exercise through running will also help.


No comments:

Post a Comment