Friday, December 5, 2014

De Cheeken (Whole30 Day Negative-43)

My boyfriend and I sometimes get bored and write novelty parody songs about my 2 cats, based on popular hits (or showtunes...whatever comes to mind). It's quite easy; mainly you take words like "baby" and "heartache" and replace them with words like "keebuls" and "cheeken". I don't know why we decided my cats have eastern European accents, but it's more fun that way. My boyfriend, hereafter known as "Panda", tends to sound like Ren from "Ren and Stimpy" when he speaks or sings on behalf of the cats.

Anyway, our first triumph was Panda's creation, based on the Act One Finale of the musical "Urinetown", a song of revolution and a rallying cry for justice. He penned it when my cat Hector went into a snit because I wouldn't share my chicken dinner with him. ("Free! Cheeken is free!/ How can you keep, It! From! Me!" etc.) It made me laugh heartily, and ever since then whenever I cook chicken, it's "teh cheeken" and I expect to hear a few lines of the song.

We eat a lot of chicken at our house. Like, I probably make something chicken-related about four times a week, often more if I'm busy. It's versatile, it's cheap (well...cheaper than most meats), and I know a few different ways to cook it which makes me feel like ultra mega super chef girl. It's also well-suited to the slow cooker, one of the greatest inventions EVER, and it yields lots of bones for making broth!

Using my trusty meal planning app (PlanToEat...can't recommend it enough, you guys) I'm building next week's dinner menu and organizing my shopping list. Between Sunday and Friday of next week, I already have 5 chicken meals planned. Not including the broth. O_O Thankfully, several of the recipes are Whole30 friendly (or can be adapted to be compliant) so I can still eat my favorites while on the Whole30 adventure.

Favorites like Cracklin' Chicken and Weeknight Roast Chicken (both recipes by Nom Nom Paleo) and Crispy Chicken and Brussels Sprouts (from So Let's Hang Out). If I had Instagram, I would post photos of my food to bejeezus and back.

Oh, and I chose a date to start the Whole30! Sunday, January 18 will be the official start date. This'll allow me to have a drink or 2 while I'm in Disneyland the previous week, BUT it'll also give me some time to eat Atkins-style for a little over a month in preparation, to stock my fridge (and use up any verboten food items before they spoil) and get set up with a regular exercise regime. I'd really like to maximize my results if I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment