Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Things By Halves (Whole30 Day Negative-38)

Just snacked on some sugar snap peas dipped in blue cheese dressing. An excellent low-carb nosh, but not going to fly on the Whole30. I need to learn how to make a killer guacamole so I can still dip raw veggies in something. Nom Nom Paleo has a fantastic-looking recipe. Hmm. . .

Speaking of guac, can we all just admit avocados are freaking awesome? In the past few weeks, when I've been pressed for time (or broke) I have breakfasted several times on a plain, raw avocado. Just cut it in half, chuck the seed, and eat the whole thing right out of the alligator-looking skin with a spoon. It's yummy and apparently really good for you (if the Internet is to believed).

The one confusing thing to me about avocado (and sweet potatoes...and a few other things now that I think of it) is that a serving is half of one. Meaning that the general suggestion for consuming an avocado is to cut it in half, eat one half, and ...I dunno, save the rest of it for later? But avocados are notoriously hard to preserve. They oxidize in a snap so you either have to jam plastic wrap all over the fruit and hope it doesn't get brown anyway, or you have to face the shame of having consumed two servings in a sitting. Which I usually do.

How is it that a fruit, that comes in individual pieces (much like the common banana or kiwifruit) contains "two servings"? Are they assuming anyone who eats avocados usually has a guest with whom they should be sharing? Is it because they're higher in calories than most other plant foods? They're small (I'm not talking about watermelons, people, an avocado fits in my hand and probably contains 1-2 cups of actual food matter) and they're delicious, and they have fun things like VITAMINS of which you should be eating a surplus anyway. The hell am I supposed to do with half of an avocado when I should have just eaten the whole thing? The answer is: EAT IT. IT'S GOOD FOR YOU. If we were only supposed to eat half an avocado, they'd be half the size.

Don't believe the hype, people. You go ahead and eat that whole avocado and call it a single serving. And should the haters throw you shade, chuck an avocado seed at them. Those things are solid wood and probably hurt like hell when they smack into you.

No comments:

Post a Comment