Friday, September 4, 2015

Be Strong and Broccoli On (Whole40, Day 13)

It's Friday, and Day 13, so it's kind of like Friday the 13th. Heh. Uh-oh.

In addition to being a performer, my friend Jen is also a graphic artist. She made me this to help keep my spirits up during Whole40:
New fight song!
It makes me smile. Jen's on her own health crusade, too: she's a breast cancer survivor! She's also been flour-free for a while now, and recently got one of those schmancy FitBits to track her exercise (the kind that measure heart rate and such).

It's interesting to see how differently people approach health, weight loss, and whatnot. When people ask me about the Whole30, I'm happy to talk about it, but I don't jump down their throats with the "omigod you HAVE to try this it's SO amazing it'll change your life and implode your universe and everything you know will be turned on its ear" the way that some people on the Internet tend to do.

Cauliflower "cous cous" with sundried tomatoes and leeks. I added some scrambled eggs for protein.
Some people take an almost evangelical stance on whatever health thing they're doing. Even if you're seeing success on your own plan, they will try to sell you on theirs (sometimes literally.)

I told an acquaintance I hadn't seen in a while about getting healthy and losing weight, and he was all for it. He then immediately handed me his wife's business card and started explaining Shakeology to me. Apparently it's like SlimFast but it's called something else, and instead of buying it in a store you buy it from another person, like Avon, which I assume means they recruit their spouses to sell to their friends who give an impression they'd like to get healthier. He kept saying I really should look into it. I really should join her Facebook group. Because normally he would never consider something like this himself, but he tried it and the shakes are delicious and oh my it was all so easy...

It's interesting because it's not like I said "gosh, I really want to get healthy but I have no idea where to get started...if only someone knew how I might lose this extra weight." Since he last saw me, I've lost over 80 lbs. And he didn't even ask me how I'd done that. He heard I was interested in continuing my health improvements and saw a sales opportunity.

And that made me a little sad and disillusioned. But ah well. I'm glad I don't have to "subscribe" to Whole30; the program is about building your eating plan around healthy foods, cooking for yourself, and learning not to rely on junk food. I like the idea of cleaning up my act, having some treats, then eating clean again. That seems to work ok for me.

If the same thing works for you, awesome! If something else does, that's brilliant too. Everybody's different, because every body is different.

Be strong, and broccoli on!

No comments:

Post a Comment