Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Finally Noticed Something. Also I'm %#*$^% Sick. (Whole30 Day 18)

Sorry I suck so bad at updating. It's probably a good thing I'm not a famous blogger, or people would be really pissed off. Heh.

I'm over halfway done with my Whole30, and while I think now and again about how much I'd like some cheese, or a chocolate chip cookie or an Irish coffee, it's not any horrible all-emcompassing craving. I really believe having the 30-day timespan on it makes it much more manageable. Like, "I'm not having those things right now, but once this is over maybe I'll have some before starting another 30-day thing."

That's right, I could definitely do another Whole30 after this one. It's not ideal (I mean...cheese) but it's completely manageable and doable. Even on days when I've forgotten my lunch I've always found something simple I can eat, and then I make a bigger dinner at home.

I know this is pie-in-the-sky-like, but the number of pounds I'm hoping to have lost this month is 20. Yes, I know 20 pounds in a month is a stupid high number, but I'm way behind in the weight I'd meant to lose in the past 10 months (let's face it...the last 8 years) and because I have so much extra, I think it's possible.

If on Day 31 (not going to weigh myself on Day 30; that's still part of the program) I've dropped 20 lbs (granted likely a combination of water and fat but whatever) I will go three days on a relaxed eating plan, mostly the same foods but having cheese and the occasional blessing of my Éireannach ancestors in my coffee, or a piece of chocolate or something, nothing ridiculous. Then I'll start another Whole30 and possibly extend it to a Whole45. I'm not feeling any inclination to push it longer than that...I think it's probably doable, but I like the idea of having a few relaxed days every month or so, not to binge or drink myself stupid but to have a treat or something so my brain doesn't panic and go "holy crap we're never having cake again OH MY GOD depression!"

Anyway--OH RIGHT I FORGOT.

Two things.

1: I am sick. I kissed Panda (a lot) while he was sick (he's my boyfriend, we live together, it's kind of a habit, SHUT UP) and on Sunday started to notice the telltale tickle in my throat. By Monday it was a raging painful sore throat, along with sore muscles and general misery, and I woke up at 5:30AM crying because I don't get sick pay and I really couldn't afford to take the day off. I did anyway - I don't want to get my coworkers sick, and Panda insisted. He stayed home with me too, and I slept most of the day. Yesterday I had the mega-sniffles (and came in to work) and today the sniffles have abated and I'm mostly coughing up grossness from what feels like the bowels of my lungs. Yes, that's a thing. Anyway being sick on Whole30 kind of sucks because you can't have cough syrup or cough drops (I'd have given anything on Monday for a big bottle of Tylenol with codeine...that stuff they had me on when I had my tonsils out...numbs the pain and knocks you out), and of course you can't have alcohol (my usual remedy when I'm sick is either hot tea with whiskey or a single shot, before bed.) But, thankfully I had a bunch of chicken broth made up and frozen, and I've been drinking tea to beat the band. I actually think avoiding dairy has helped me have less yuck in my throat and lungs...although to be honest I avoid dairy when I'm sick anyway. The main thing I miss are cough drops and syrups. But what can you do. Each day I feel a little bit better.

2. I've finally FINALLY noticed one of those things you're supposed to feel on a Whole30. I've started waking up before my alarm. I'm not jumping out of bed bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (especially now that I'm sick), BUT. I'll wake up sometime around 5:30 or 5:45, and even though I'm still kind of tired and go back to sleep to wait for the alarm, I did *notice* that I woke up. That never, *ever* happened before. I HATE waking up. I LOVE sleeping. But one of the purported benefits of this way of eating is waking up without a fight and being more alert during the day. It's a little thing to wake up before my alarm, but it never happened until I attempted the Whole30. So that's something.

My skin's still not...great, but it's better than it was before. I'm sure some of it is problematic because a) I'm in a show and wearing heavy makeup on weekends, b) stress about work and everything, and c) I'm sick. But still, it's better than it was before. Even with a chapped red nose. *Sniffle*.

That's basically it. Still applying/ interviewing for a ton of jobs, no bites yet. Most promising options right now are a second interview I have on Friday for the department of pediatric hematology at Stanford Hospital, and a first interview I have on Tuesday for a recruiting/ admin position at a medicalert company where my friend Shelby works.

Please cross your fingers for me! If I can lose 20 lbs and land a job before this Whole30 is over, I'll never question another kooky Paleo-phile ever again!

...but I'm still not going to say I eat "paleo." That's just...that's just silly.

Happy Wednesday. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment