Monday, October 26, 2015

Serendipity (Whole75, Day 17)

Seventeen's always been a lucky/ augurous number for me. And Day 17 is no exception, apparently.

For one thing, this happened:

Another Day One to record!
I completed the first full workout for a Couch to 5K. Granted, this is a pretty remedial thing (jogging and walking at intervals, spaced out pretty gratuitously) but for someone like me, who previously couldn't get through even the first few minutes of this workout without turning it off and stopping to catch my breath, this is a big victory. It's my hope that I can complete the whole circuit to improve my jogging stamina and (please please) accelerate the weight loss.

Then, as I was walking back to my office all sweaty and disgusting and glowing with victory, I got a surprise email from my friend Ashley. She's not only a fitness buff (seriously, her FitBit stats blow everyone else clear out of the water) but a world traveler with an enviable schedule of adventures. 

She asked me if I'd be interested in perhaps joining her late next year in Paris, to run their first-ever Disneyland half-marathon.

Ordinarily, I'd chuckle at such an offer and be like "yeah, dude, you go ahead and 'run' or whatever, I'll eat me some Mickey Mouse beignets and cheer you on from the sidelines." But this came mere minutes after the above screenshot was taken.

This sounds crazy...but it's a little too convenient to be a coincidence that she sent that message right after I'd started actual honest to goodness training to run.

So I said yes.

I will very likely be taking a shorter run option (5K or 10K...it's a year from now but I'm not sure a half marathon is realistic even with that amount of time to train). But I'll be going, and I'm going to run. And I haven't been to Paris since 2004. I need to remedy that!

Motivation's a helluva thing, isn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment